Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mission Accomplished!


Yea! My first marathon was a good experience on almost all accounts. After nearly 6 months of preparation for "the hill" and "the heat" I must have been prepared because I don't think they got the best of me this weekend. Okay... granted it was an unusually cold and rainy day in St. George. They seem to only have rain when I come to race there, or so I have heard. My last triathlon race there was cancelled due to slick roads. Oh well, as my preparation would have it I was well prepared in running in the rain. Both of my 2 longest runs were also in the rain, and I loved it. In fact I would say my 3 BFF's in this race were the rain, gravity, and Advil. All of them helped me to get way under my goal time of 4:30, (but secretly hoping for 4:15.) Actually I was able to run 4:11:17. As I was running I kept waiting for the infamous "wall" to hit me. When would I hit it? How hard would I hit it? How much would it hurt when I did hit it? And you know- I never hit it! I did feel tight in my legs, which I stopped to stretch a few times, but I think the Advil kept me from feeling the pain. When I crossed the finish line I was SO happy with how it went I gave the guy handing me my medal a hug. He said "You did it!" I said Yea! I did it!

It is kind of surreal to accomplish things that you have been working towards for so long. It has left me feeling a little empty the last few days. My SORE legs have kept the memory alive for me. I am just now able to go down my stairs facing forward and not backward to keep from screaming. As much as I have been in pain, I like the goal that the marathon gave me.


David made 2 of his 3 goals too. #1 he beat his goal time of 4 hours. He got 3:57: I am so proud of him! #2 he wanted to feel good at the end, as opposed to feeling awful after his last one in Houston when the temp was 80 plus degrees. He has been a little more stiff than me, but he feels good. #3 he will hopefully do, and that is to keep running after his recovery.


Partly intentional, and partly unintentional I didn't take my camera to the race, because I didn't have anyone to take pictures. I have some borrowed ones from my sister Kim (who is Boston marathon bound), and from my great running partner Shauna who also reached her goal of finishing her first marathon! Way to go girls!

BTW no pictures of David because he was off getting a massage when the camera's were out.

I think the best part of doing a marathon, or any competition is doing it with other people who you can share your pain, and your joy with! That is what makes it all worth it for me! Thanks peeps! You're the best!

5 comments:

jt said...

Way to go michelle! you were so fast!! Congrats..

Deborah said...

Congrats on finishing with a great time. I sounds like you were born to be a marathoner.

Shauna said...

Sniff, sniff . . .it was awesome!
What's next for us?

Anna-Lisa said...

That is so great--for you! it would be awful for me, but it's great for you, congrats!

Julie said...

Michelle- good job! My sister is coming out here in a few weeks to run the Richmond marathon. I should have done it with her! Okay, yeah right, I don't think I'll ever run a marathon. You're amazing!